I spent the day yesterday bringing hot food out to Rockaway with friends. I know many of you have been out there, but for those of you who haven’t, the scale of the damage cannot be overstated. I have been to similarly ravaged places, but they were third world countries, not 15 miles from Manhattan. After seeing how much need there is, Dossier is organizing to try to get hot food out there every day until they have electricity back – which was supposed to be Friday but now may not be until next week. There is still no electricity, heat or hot water, and people are living off of army meals and peanut butter sandwiches, so you can imagine how nice it is to eat something hot.
If you are interested in helping out, here is how you can:
- If you have a restaurant or work at one, get the kitchen to cook up an aluminum tray or two of hot food. It doesn’t have to be fancy, just warm (chili, stew, rice and beans, chicken, pasta, family meal stuff). We are organizing pickups in the mornings, so let us know what time we can pick up and where and we will organize to get it.
- If you have friends with restaurants, you can reach out to them on behalf of this effort.
- If you can cook and want to make something, please do. Everything should be in aluminum trays or containers you don’t mind losing.
- We need plates, bowls, forks, knives, spoons, serving utensils, napkins and takeaway containers with lids for the food we’re bringing out. Anyone who would like to contribute supplies can drop them off at 673 St John’s Place. Brooklyn, NY 11216. If we aren’t here you can leave them downstairs by the gate to the basement.
- If you have a car and are available this week during the day for pickups, let us know.
- If you don’t have a car but have a body and want to help, let us know too and we will try to get you into a car.
Just a note: warm food is preferable, but we also brought sandwiches to people on high floors of buildings yesterday. Anything is great. We also brought coffee yesterday and it was seriously, seriously appreciated.
Anyone interested in helping out can email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
The awesome AP photo above is of the lovely and talented foodmaster Ariel Nadelberg serving some of the hot food we brought out yesterday.